Peer Recovery Coach
- - Support Services
- Indianapolis, Indiana, IN, USA
- Full Time
Peer Recovery Coach
Harm Reduction Team
Damien Center empowers communities and persons affected by HIV/AIDS in the state of Indiana by being a leading resource, provider, and advocate for comprehensive HIV/AIDS care, prevention, education, and related services. Damien Center, Damien Cares and Damien Pharmacy provide client-centered social services focused on care coordination, clinical and pharmacy services, mental health, housing, and nutrition to the Indianapolis community.
The Peer Recovery Coach will provide harm reduction services to clients in active use and one-on-one coaching and support to those who are seeking recovery from substance use disorders. The position is a full-time role who will be working as part of a team to provide peer support and motivation to clients seeking treatment for alcohol or drug dependency and addiction issues. The candidate must be actively engaged in their own recovery program with a minimum of three years demonstrated recovery and sustained abstinence from alcohol and/or drug use. The Recovery Coach must be willing to publicly self-identify as being in recovery from a substance use disorder.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills.
- Provide patients with education about HIV, Hepatitis C, and Harm Reduction.
- Develop and maintain a strong working relationship with Damien Cares Clinic and external medical clinics (MAT providers) for purposes of referring clients for medical care and treatment.
- Build working relationships with local providers and other community partners who work with the focus population.
- Refer clients to additional services such as HIV/STD/Hepatitis C treatment, substance use treatment, and supportive social services.
- Document all patient interactions and input required data in the appropriate databases.
- Provide one-on-one coaching and support to individuals seeking to recover from substance use disorders and other addictions.
- Assist with the distribution of harm reduction supplies.
- Identify and address potential barriers to care with individuals enrolled in the program
- Collect enrollment and participation data and complete reports in a timely manner.
- Participate in staff, community, and program meetings.
- Provide community presentations about recovery and available resources as identified and appropriate.
- Complete required program enrollment forms, assessments, and questionnaires and document the results in appropriate data systems.
- Provide transportation and attend medical appointments with clients on as needed and/or as desired basis.
- Take direction, be prompt, take initiative, complete tasks as assigned, and be able to work effectively as part of a team that includes community stakeholders.
- Local travel will be required for this position, and the candidate must have a reliable transportation.
- Perform special assignments and other duties, on an as-needed basis.
Education and/or Experience
- Lived experience with addiction and certification as a peer recovery coach required. Experience in public health, social work, counseling, or related field preferred. Experience working with diverse populations preferred. Must have the ability to work out of multiple locations and workspaces.
*Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Possess superior organizational and administrative skills.Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities. Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Ability to work independently and achieve high standards of productivity, achieving deadlines and with superior product results. Strong calendaring, organizational, and document management skills required. Proactive approach to solving problems and communicating to leadership. Knowledge of office management systems, procedures, and office equipment required. Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in their area of responsibility.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
- The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
- Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
- FLSA Status: Salaried, Full-Time, Exempt
- Benefits: Complete Benefits Package Available
- Leader: Harm Reduction Program Manager