Youth Wellness Navigator (new position)
- - Support Services
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
Youth Wellness Navigator
Linkage to Care Team
Damien Center empowers communities and persons affected by HIV/AIDS in the state of Indiana by being a leading resource, provider, and advocate for comprehensive HIV/AIDS care, prevention, education, and related services. Damien Center, Damien Cares and Damien Pharmacy provide client-centered social services focused on care coordination, clinical and pharmacy services, mental health, housing, and nutrition to the Indianapolis community.
The Youth Wellness Navigator supports People Living with HIV (PLWH) and people at risk for HIV transmission, ages 14 to 24, to facilitate entry or re-entry into needed medical care and services. The Youth Wellness Navigator identifies barriers to care, provides individualized supportive services, and collaborates with clients and case managers to eliminate those barriers. The Youth Wellness Navigator provides wrap-around supportive services in collaboration with Integrated Case Mangers, Housing Case Managers, Infectious Disease Providers, Mental Health Providers, Harm Reduction Specialists, and other community supports as needed. The Youth Wellness Navigator is supervised by the Linkage to Care Program Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills.
• Provide culturally competent education and support for individuals ages 14 to 24 living with HIV and/or at risk for HIV transmission to facilitate their full engagement in care.
• Conduct strategic outreach to identify youth living with HIV and/or at risk for HIV transmission in Damien's identified service region.
• Develop and maintain relationships with community partners and youth specific organizations
• Facilitate youth specific support groups and other activities
• Stay current in best practice when serving youth living with HIV
• Assist HIV+ youth with better integration and transition planning from pediatric to adult care.
• Complete needs screening at initial contact and every 90 days thereafter with youth and young adults.
• Work closely with clients' case manager(s) as needed to address barriers to engaging medical care and needed services.
• Guide intervention participants to a range of community services to support progress along the continuum of HIV care.
• Make recommendations for referrals for Psychiatric assessments/services, Substance Use counseling/treatment, Mental Health services, Case Management, Career Development, Housing, Food Pantry, Dental, Vision, Legal, and Transportation.
• Provide services and interventions dealing with other major risk-complicating factors including substance use, violence, stigma, mental health, homelessness, and other health disparities.
• Provide transportation and attend client appointments on an as-needed or as-desired basis.
• Maintain documentation in compliance with agency and program standards.
• Other duties may be assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma or graduation equivalency degree (GED) required; bachelor's degree preferred. Knowledge of HIV/AIDS treatment and care required. Knowledge of working with youth and young adults ages 14-25 strongly preferred.
*Work/life experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Possess superior organizational and administrative skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities. Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Ability to work independently and achieve high standards of productivity, achieving deadlines and with superior product results. Strong calendaring, organizational, and document management skills required. Proactive approach to solving problems and communicating to leadership. Experience in working with youth desired. Knowledge of office management systems, procedures, and office equipment required. Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in their area of responsibility.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
• The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
• Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
• FLSA Status: Exempt, Salaried, Full-Time,
• Benefits: Complete Benefits Package Available
• Leader: Linkage to Care Program Manager
Damien Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply at www.damien.org/job-opportunities
This position description does not constitute a contract of employment or guarantee of any terms or conditions of employment. Damien Center employees are employed on an at-will basis. Nothing in this position description restricts Damien Center's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media