Peer Support Specialist
- - Housing
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
Peer Support Specialist
Community Impact - Housing Team
Damien Center empowers communities and persons affected by HIV/AIDS in the state of Indiana by being a leading resource, provider, and advocate for comprehensive HIV/AIDS care, prevention, education, and related services. Damien Center, Damien Cares and Damien Pharmacy provide client-centered social services focused on care coordination, clinical and pharmacy services, mental health, housing, and nutrition to the Indianapolis community.
As part of a multi-disciplinary team, provide peer support services to youth and young adults experiencing housing instability. Service provision will focus on working with clients to maintain housing and gain employment. Service is provided to individuals or groups.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills.
• Provide individualized, ongoing guidance, coaching and support to client base.
• Train in the use of personal and community resources.
• Assist in developing formal and informal community supports.
• Develop the person served in how to increase social support networks of relatives, friends, and/or significant others.
• Offer encouragement and support in times of crisis.
• Advocate on behalf of persons with housing instability to protect the client's rights and to assist in reducing associated stigma.
• Work in cooperation with other providers, family members or significant others involved in the client's recovery plan.
• Attend staff meetings, case conferences and Individual and group supervision meetings.
• Attain established standards of productivity.
• Observe all rules of confidentiality relating to clinical information and treatment, both internally and when dealing with external agencies and/or individuals.
• Responsible for understanding client rights policy and procedures.
• Participate in staff training and development.
• Serve on designated committees within the agency.
• Maintain professional standards, and observe the guidelines established by policies and procedures.
• Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
Education and/or Experience:
High School Diploma or GED required. Experience as a past or present consumer of housing services preferred. Familiarity with the Marion County community preferred. A sound understanding of mental health and/or substance abuse problems and treatments preferred
*Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Possess superior organizational and administrative skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities. Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Ability to work independently and achieve high standards of productivity, achieving deadlines and with superior product results. Strong calendaring, organizational, and document management skills required. Proactive approach to solving problems and communicating to leadership. Knowledge of office management systems, procedures, and office equipment required. Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in their area of responsibility.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
• The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
• Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
• FLSA Status: Exempt, Salaried Full-Time,
• Benefits: Complete Benefits Package Available
Damien Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply at www.damien.org/job-opportunities
This position description does not constitute a contract of employment or guarantee of any terms or conditions of employment. Damien Center employees are employed on an at-will basis. Nothing in this position description restricts Damien Center's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media