Office Specialist - CAFE Clinic
- Clinical Services - Medical Clinic
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
- Complete Benefits Package
Office Specialist - CAFÉ Clinic
Damien Cares Clinic Team
Damien Center empowers communities and persons affected by HIV/AIDS in the state of Indiana by being a leading resource, provider, and advocate for comprehensive HIV/AIDS care, prevention, education, and related services. Damien Center, Damien Cares and Damien Pharmacy provide client-centered social services focused on care coordination, clinical and pharmacy services, mental health, housing, and nutrition to the Indianapolis community.
The Office Specialist is responsible for all administrative tasks such as answering and directing calls, assisting patients and visitors, and scheduling appointments. The Office Specialist will be the first point of contact and ensure a smooth and orderly operation throughout by regularly communicating with providers and clinic staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities, and skills.
• Welcome and greet all patients and visitors in person or over the phone.
• Answer all calls professionally and direct and answer questions as necessary.
• Respond to voicemails appropriately.
• Maintain a clean and organized lobby area.
• Register new patients and update patient information, including personal and insurance information as needed in the electronic medical record (EMR).
• Facilitate patient flow by notifying provider or care team when patients arrive, being aware of delays while communicating with patients and clinical staff.
• Responds to patients, prospective patients, and visitor inquiries promptly.
• Protect patient confidentiality by following all HIPAA standards and practices.
• Responsible for assisting providers in obtaining medical records from other hospitals or physician offices.
• Work closely with clinical staff and care team to ensure patient has appropriate appointments scheduled, including follow-up appointments and any required testing.
• Collect co-payments, pre-payments, and account balances.
• Update all demographic information, consents, and emergency contacts as needed
• Maintain patient/client schedule by scheduling, rescheduling, and correcting errors.
• Coordinate with IES on patient insurance eligibility and correct insurance information before clinic appointments.
• Assist Linkage to Care in rescheduling patients who have missed appointments.
• Fill out and log appropriate consents as requested by provider.
• Act as a liaison between Damien Cares patients and hospitals, medical practices, physicians, vendors, and other referral sources.
• Train staff and volunteers on front desk duties as needed.
• Attend all meetings as directed by DC leadership.
• Complete tasks as assigned by Clinic Operations Manager.
• Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma or Graduation Equivalency Degree (GED) or High School Equivalency (HSE) required. Two years of experience in a physician/clinical office required. Experience with of clinic office procedures including administrative processes and procedures, claims processing and preparing patient charts. Excellent communication skills required.
*Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Possess superior organizational and administrative skills. Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities. Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Ability to work independently and achieve high standards of productivity, achieving deadlines and with superior product results. Strong calendaring, organizational, and document management skills required. Proactive approach to solving problems and communicating to leadership. Knowledge of office management systems, procedures, and office equipment required. Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize work.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in their area of responsibility.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfullyperform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
• The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
• Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
• FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Hourly, Full-Time,
• Benefits: Complete Benefits Package Available
• Leader: Clinic Operations Manager
Damien Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply at www.damien.org/job-opportunities
This position description does not constitute a contract of employment or guarantee of any terms or conditions of employment. Damien Center employees are employed on an at-will basis. Nothing in this position description restricts Damien Center's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.